Saturday 24 January 2009

The power of language and threes

It's a new year and a new start. I feel that I have so much I want to say. Yesterday I got together with other co-active coaches which was fantastic in so many ways. Three of us had gone through the course together and it was like meeting old friends. With the others, there was a common language because we had had similar experiences through our training.

What struck me most powerfully on reflection was the symbolism of the number three. In numerology it is often linked to integration and wholeness. We often talk about the relationship between mind, body and spirit and the energy/ power an individual has when the three elements are in harmony. Interestingly I discovered yesterday that in Buddhist temples incense sticks are lit and placed in groups of three.

In my own life I am always aware of bad things coming in threes but I am less conscious of the same pattern with positive stuff. Looking back at yesterday's session there was a clear message and that was the power of words. In an initial conversation, we talked about writing out intentions and then coming back to them at a later date. Someone had recently found something they had written a year ago and it described almost to the letter the good things that they were currently experiencing. I took away from that a sense of how powerful words can be. We then considered as a group what the word message meant which led to a rich discussion and what I took from that was a sense that messages are everywhere if we are alert to them. Finally we looked at whether we as coaches had a particular message for our clients.

As a result of the session, I decided to spend some time with myself and compose my intentions for 2009 which I would then review in a year's time. My challenge to you is to do the same and see how much impact they have on your year.

No comments:

Post a Comment